Monday, February 03, 2014

Happy New Year!

After returning from an (almost) month long vacation, I feel like everything has been pushed back. I haven't even had time to sit down and reflect on 2013, let alone think about all the (exciting!) things to come in 2014.

Thinking about appropriate goal setting as I make my upcoming New Years Resolution (*sigh* one month late). Hey, it's just in time for CNY. Better late than never I suppose.

Every so often, I get very ambitious with my life, and I make a list of goals I want to accomplish (see 101 goals in 1001 days). I think those lists, and those goals are wonderful, they remind me that I've done a lot of things. They set a purpose for myself when I want to be lazy and watch TV all day.

I realize though, I'm a really bad goal setter.
Goals are designed to push people forward, and make them feel productive, a "one step at a time" for some of those big impossible tasks. 

I read an article late last year that has re-framed what "goals" should look like. The article spoke up life lessons from running, and one portion, about having patience really spoke to me:
...They set lofty goals and put them on a far too aggressive timeline. Then when they don't reach those goals within their given time-frame, they either give up or consider themselves a failure. No matter what your goal, setting realistic expectations is key to ultimately achieving success. Are there people who drop a ton of weight in six months or guys who make millions off of their first business venture? Sure! But just as the fine print on most weight loss supplements reads: These results are not typical. Pace yourself, and be patient."
for full article see: http://justinseeley.com/editorial/5-lessons-ive-learned-from-running-apply-life/

So here's toasting to 2014... and being a better goal setter to increase my productivity.

No comments: